As purchasing cannabis products online becomes more common, dispensaries must optimize their cannabis eCommerce websites for product-related keywords to increase visibility, drive traffic, and increase sales. Product-based SEO, which optimizes product pages on the website, is a better strategy than focusing on "dispensary near me" style keywords for bringing more relevant search traffic to your website. In this blog, we will cover the key elements of product-based SEO and provide insights into how cannabis retail businesses can optimize their eCommerce website for product-related keywords.
Cannabis Product-Seo Keywords Strategy
- Conduct Keyword Research: Start with what keywords your target audience is searching for. Conduct keyword research to identify the most relevant and popular keywords related to your cannabis products. Use keyword research tools such as Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or Ahrefs to find relevant keywords for your cannabis products. Look for keywords that have a high search volume and low competition. More specific long-tail keywords can also be effective in driving targeted traffic to your website.
- Build a Keywords List: Include just not THC and CBD but also terpenes. Product description should include THC and CBD percentages and describe any additional cannabinoids or terpenes, along with whether the product is sativa, indica, or a hybrid. A unique, keyword-focused description for each cannabis product is necessary, along with suggested additional products.
- Ensure the Relevance of Your Cannabis Keywords: Similar to the idea of brand relevance, it is crucial to select cannabis keywords that are currently popular. By choosing trending keywords and staying ahead of the curve, you can improve your website performance and reap the benefits. Stay informed about the industry and future predictions to stay on top of keyword relevance. Use Google Trends to check the relevance of your selected keywords and ensure they match your brand and industry. It is important to note that a keyword may be relevant to your region but not elsewhere.
- Refine Your Cannabis SEO Keywords: When choosing your cannabis SEO keywords, the aim is to make your brand stand out to potential customers browsing the internet for products and services similar to yours. Choose relevant, catchy keywords that are not impossible to rank for. For example, while everyone may want to rank for "cannabis," it is not specific enough for your brand. Focus on long-tail keywords, as they may have fewer searches but are more specific and suitable for your target audience.
Optimization of Product Pages
- Once you are clear about your keywords strategy, start optimizing your cannabis website product pages. Ensure that your product titles and descriptions include the target keywords from your list. This will make it easier for search engines to understand what your product is about and rank your page for relevant searches. Also, make sure that your product images have descriptive file names and alt tags that include the target keywords. This can help improve the accessibility of your website for visually impaired users and provide more context to search engines about your products.
- On-page optimization is a key component of product-based cannabis SEO. This includes optimizing everything on the product page, such as the page title, H1, product/page description, pricing, and more. The objective is to make the page easily understandable for both Google and site visitors, making it relevant to the search query and useful, thereby boosting its ranking on the search engine results page (SERP). Every product page should be unique and use diverse target keywords; otherwise, they will compete with each other, and the website's rankings will suffer.
Engaging Content and Structured Data
- Creating relevant and engaging content can help improve your cannabis website's visibility and drive more web traffic to your cannabis eCommerce store. Consider creating blog posts or articles related to your cannabis products and use targeted keywords in your content. For example, if you sell cannabis edibles, you could create blog posts that highlight different recipes or cooking techniques for making edibles. This can attract users who are interested in learning more about edibles and increase the likelihood that they will purchase your products.
- Structured data is another critical component of product-based cannabis SEO. It involves organizing content within the web design in a particular way to help search engines understand the information on the page and return accurate results to the searcher. Use structured data to organize content within the web design and help search engines understand the information on the page. Local SEO data and product data are the most relevant types of structured data for dispensaries.
Quality Backlinks and Internal Linking Strategy
- Building quality backlinks from other relevant and authoritative websites can help improve your cannabis website's visibility and ranking on search engines. Look for opportunities to guest post on cannabis industry websites or participate in link exchanges with other businesses in the cannabis industry. However, be cautious not to engage in any spammy or manipulative link-building practices as this can result in penalties from search engines.
- Internal linking is another crucial element of product-based cannabis SEO that can enhance the user experience by helping users find related content and products. Every page must have links to and from it on your cannabis eCommerce website. Navigation links, dynamic links, and contextual links are the three primary types of internal links. The product pages can include internal links by using a "similar products" widget. Additionally, linking from blog posts to product pages can be beneficial, and a link-building strategy can help create clear click paths throughout the website.
Product reviews have a significant influence on Google search rankings. Encourage customer reviews and include them on product pages. The more reviews your business has, the better, as product reviews impact Google search results, can improve your dispensary website's organic rankings, and increase the earning potential of your cannabis product pages.
Choose the Best Cannabis eCommerce Solution
Optimizing your cannabis e-commerce website for product-related keywords can help improve visibility, drive more traffic, and ultimately lead to more sales, but it's also essential to monitor your progress and adjust your optimization strategy as necessary. Keep an eye on your website traffic, rankings, and conversions, and make changes to your keyword targeting or content strategy as needed. With Cova eComm, you get an SEO-optimized cannabis website that allows you to rank your eCommerce store better for product-related keywords. Click below to get started.